BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I Learned 5 Things While Sick

Anniversary


1. No matter how hard you try, you cannot rock the same outfit three days in a row. Yes, I had zero energy to change. Yes, that equates to me sleeping, being and staying in the same yoga pants, tank, and hoodie. While it was cute, said person in cute outfit gets less cute as the days roll on. Don't judge me.
2. There’s never a good time to be sick. But, sometimes, the timing sucks more than your vaccuum cleaner. Seriously, after day 4 of cabin fever and wet-cat version of anxiety about driving in the winter storm of 2012 - the snow and ice melts and I get sick going into a 3 days weekend?! Could be worse, much worse, but damn!
3. There is no justice when it comes to ailments and health. You know those stories about the healthy person getting a heart attack? Or the person who never tried drugs or such getting into an accident? My situation’s not as bad, admittedly. But, dang. I've been a vegetarian since I was 15. I've never smoked - anything, to clarify. Well, there was that time when David Ball in high school helped me become a smoker. After coughing and complaining that it burned my throat, he said "Ah, that goes away after a while." "I said, "Forget this! And I'd rather spend my lunch money on Subway." So, yes. I have my glass of wine every other week or so. I avoid fast food. I guzzle water. We make homemade meals and pack our healthy lunches. I take vitamins and strive for my 7 hrs of sleep a night. I went as far as getting a flu vaccine this year. I'm active 6 days a week. I'm even part of TEAM AWESOME! Nope, zero justice when it comes to nasty snotty viruses.
4. The best way to get through pain and illness is to find as many distractions as possible. Especially useful when you have no appetite at all. My utmost favorite distraction this past week? Sleep, sleep, and more sleep. I don’t remember sleeping so much! When I’m awake, I indulged in: Men of a Certain Age. Elevation Church (thanks Kristin!). Movies. Google-ing, Online shopping. Tweeting, something apparently I started and abandoned in 2010. Researching and Blogging on my three, yes three, blogs. And Facebook. There was some reading once I was  able to stay awake for longer than an hour at a time. Oh, and I was constantly thankful that I didn't have trees around to fall on my house. SUPER thankful that we had heat and electricity!!! I was sending out prayers to my friends and family who were without and not sure when PSE would get them lit up again? Counting my blessings and praying for others was a good distraction too. 
5. Friends and family rock. Big time. I’ve received so many messages well wishes. Texts and facebook well wishes. No calls, thankfully because I was out of it and sounded like a man. I was really truly motivated by this (not the sounding like a man piece). You see, in my moments of cabin-fever-crazy-thinking-mode, I sometimes wondered if anyone would notice if I disappeared from this planet for whatever reason (alien abductions, serial killer finds me better suited in his freezer). I mean, I know my immediate family and Seth would care a lot. But, how about other people who don’t see me everyday? Those who interact with me primarily via social media? Or just at work? Or during 5Ks? Would they care? It was amazing to see that there are people who WOULD – and DO – care enough when I’m not well. And, if they care enough when I’m not well, then I’d like to think that they’re also the folks who would care if I do disappear. Yes, that’s a bit overly dramatic, I know. But, hey… When you're stuck at home for this long, not knowing what’s going on, your life views do get magnified a bit more than usual. Let's just say that I'm an odd duck too. So, I said that this #5 motivated me. It motivated me to express my love and concern more often. Not that I don't. But to be more aware of showing my love and concern to friends and family when they're, not only ill, but when they are well. As a friend of mine once said, the best of friends are the ones who are happy for your happiness. I have a lot of happy friends. So I best roll up my sleeves and up the HAPPY! :)

0 comments: